Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh (Read 30560 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh
Reply #20 - 07/11/07 at 20:04:43
Post Tools
lg wrote on 07/09/07 at 17:52:17:
Markovich

I believe we had looked in the past at the merits of interpolating 17 c6 bxc6 (b6 is bad and ba6 appears to be bad too) instead of playing 16 Rf4 immediately, no?

I don't recall that.  Where?
by the way, I agree that the queen sacrifice is playable without 17 c6 bxc6 but much less so
with those moves included. The funny thing is
that with 17 c6 bxc6, the best I found is a related queen sac as follows:
18. Rf4 Qxf4 19 Bxf4 Rxd4 (19... Bxc5 was suggested without 17 c6 bxc6) 20 Bg3 (Qc2 !?) Bc4 21 Qc2
it appears that White is Ok but i dont think it is an easy win for White

I don't think the queen sac is playable after 17. c6.  I think Black has to play 18...Qd3 with the lines I gave above.  I have examined them rather deeply.  (B) is the most promising for White, but I think that difficult as it may appear, Black may hold on by the skin of his teeth.  We could discuss this further if you wanted.

finally, concerning

"19...Qxc5+  20. Kh1 and now not 20...Rd7?! as given, but 20...Qe5  ...."

note that White an play 20 Kf1 and then 20 ... Qe5 looses some of it strength

Ah, yes.  That perhaps argues for the queen sac.  In any case I think that the position with two bishops + two pawns vs. queen is more promising than the the one with three pawns versus the bishop.  This would be without 17. c6, of course.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 07/09/07 at 17:52:17
Post Tools
Markovich

I believe we had looked in the past at the merits of interpolating 17 c6 bxc6 (b6 is bad and ba6 appears to be bad too) instead of playing 16 Rf4 immediately, no?

by the way, I agree that the queen sacrifice is playable without 17 c6 bxc6 but much less so
with those moves included. The funny thing is
that with 17 c6 bxc6, the best I found is a related queen sac as follows:
18. Rf4 Qxf4 19 Bxf4 Rxd4 (19... Bxc5 was suggested without 17 c6 bxc6) 20 Bg3 (Qc2 !?) Bc4 21 Qc2
it appears that White is Ok but i dont think it is an easy win for White

finally, concerning

"19...Qxc5+  20. Kh1 and now not 20...Rd7?! as given, but 20...Qe5  ...."

note that White an play 20 Kf1 and then 20 ... Qe5 looses some of it strength

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #18 - 07/01/07 at 21:26:01
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 06/12/07 at 13:14:44:
@lg: My own time-wasting has been with 9...Qd7 10. Be2 0-0-0  11. 0-0 Bg4  12. c5 Nd5  13. Nxd5 Qxd5  14. h3! something we discussed before.  14...Qe4 and now:

(a)  15. Qb3 Nxd4  16. Nxd4 Bxe2  17. Rf4 Qxe4  18. Nxe2 Bxc5  19. Bxc5 Qxc5+  20. K~ Rd7 and while Black is somewhat worse (his kingside pawns lie somewhat exposed, so I think), I'm not sure that he is lost.  His king seems to be in no danger and if he can just hang onto all his pawns, how bad can it be?  The late-middlegame/early ending is perhaps the weakest part of my game; I would appreciate someone else's judgement here.

19...Qxc5+  20. Kh1 and now not 20...Rd7?! as given, but 20...Qe5  21. Re1 Rd2  22. Qc3 Qxc3  23. Nxc3 Rd7 and although the three pawns are not worth as much as White's knight, Black may nevertheless be able to hold the ending.

Also in case of 17. Rf4, Black can try 17...Qxf4  18. Bxf4 Bxc5  19. Be3 Rxd4  20. Bxd4 Bxd4+ with a comparatively solid position and an unusual material matchup: two bishops and two pawns versus queen (in each case with a rook).

However White also has (instead of 17. Rf4) 17. c6 bxc6  18. Rf4 Qd3 (18...Qxf4 is no good now) 19. Nxe2 Qxe2.  Even so:

A. 20. Bxa7 Qb5  21. Qc2 Qxe5  22. Rxf7 Kb7  23. Bf2 Bd6  24. Rc1 Qd5 is still a game.

B. 20. Rxf7 Rd3  21. Qxe6+ Kb7  22. Bf2 Qxb7  23. Rf1 Bb4 is perhaps more problematic, but Black still has counterplay based on ideas of ...Rhd8 and ...Rd1.  For instance 24. Qg4 Re8  25. Qe4 Red8  26. Bg3 Rd1.
« Last Edit: 07/02/07 at 12:35:50 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MrAlekhine
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 06/22/07 at 15:26:08
Post Tools
It is too bad the Bf5 is rarely on option in the Voronezh.  White playing d5 has always been the annoying line I normally faced.  If black plays the natural g6 & Bg7, black normally can't maintain the bishop on the h7-b1 diagonal and doesn't have a good place to develop the b8 knight (Nd7 is normally not possible because of white's threat of h3 and g4 trapping the bishop.)  Black playing e6 or e5 is also problematic.  White simply plays dxe6 and has a comfortable plan of attacking black's fragile center pawns.

It would be nice if the SOD bibles would get republished one of these days with some updated analysis (also in English).  One can dream.  Are all 3 authors still around?

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #16 - 06/22/07 at 06:49:46
Post Tools
Thanks MNb,

I knew U could help.
I had the opportunity to buy it once - hasitated one day - and then it was gone Cry

I will have a look at this when I have a board available.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #15 - 06/22/07 at 03:17:26
Post Tools
Then the big one by Siebenhaar and co is not in your library (a serious omission for Alekhine aficionados): four pages on 5.exd6 cxd6 6.Nc3 Bf5. A few lines:
a) 7.Bd3 Bg6 (SDO suggest Bxd3 8.Qxd3 g6) 8.Nge2 e6 9.0-0 Be7 10.h3 0-0 11.Be3 d5 12.c5 Nc8 13.f4! and White has the somewhat better prospects.
b) 7.Nf3 e6 8.Be2 Be7 9.0-0 0-0 10.Bf4 d5 11.c4 Nc8 12.b4 a6 =.
c) 7.Qf3 (!) Qc8 8.c5 dxc5 9.dxc5 Qxc5 10.Qxb7 Bd7 11.Be3 Qc6 12.Qxc6 Nxc6 and White has some advantage, Dvoretzky-Platonov, URS 1973.
d) 7.d5 e6 (e5!?) 8.Nf3 exd5 9.Nxd5 Nxd5 10.Qxd5 Qe7+ 11.Be2 Be4 12.Qb5+ Qd7 13.0-0 Alexandria-Alburt, Tbilisi 1977, Be7.

Of course 20 years have passed by, so this can only be the beginning of a debate.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #14 - 06/21/07 at 18:47:08
Post Tools
Instead of allowing the Voronezh, what do u think of:

5-, cxd6 6. Nc3 Bf5!?

It isnt covered in any of my alekhine books - but have been tried by alekh-guru Alburt

Black often gets play similar to the 3.Nf3 Bg4 mainline with an early exd6 exchange - (except that the bishop is placed on f5 of course...)

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #13 - 06/18/07 at 19:41:53
Post Tools
lg,

Sorry for a late reply.
Have been trying to find my notes from my last serious analysis of exd6 (being frustrated by voronezh). Simply cant find it...

This is one of my bad chess-habits: Documenting my analysis. Keeps me starting from the scratch several times - when I have forgot the reason why I didnt want to play a certain move or opening.

As Markovich said, I dont think the exchange exd6 will refute the alekhine. But at the same time I dont think the exd6 exchange is that "super-solid" as I often get the impression people think.
Yes, Larsen played it decades ago and yes, Ivanchuk played a nice game against Volokitin(?) - but its not very attractive in my eyes.

Regarding the Chigladze game. Wonder how black should respond if white, more logically, develops his N to f3 instead of g2 - threatening Bg5. g6 also invites white to push his h-pawn up the board. But still, yes - developing the B to g6 -putting up pressure against d4 - is interesting!

The exchange exd6 probably deserves a separate thread.... Tongue

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #12 - 06/13/07 at 18:35:25
Post Tools
lg wrote on 06/13/07 at 17:19:46:
Concerning 11... f6 etc.

Thank you for that most generous revelation of your ideas.  I'll take a look.  However, since tomorrow I leave for vacation in Arizona for two weeks, it may be some time before I can get back to you.  I never study chess while away on vacation; too much like work.

By the way, I once lost horribly with White's side of a Marshall Gambit vs. the Tarrasch (4. cxd5 exd5  5. e4!?) in a game that featured my KN hopelessly condemned to h1.  The proposed ...Na8 reminded me of that.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #11 - 06/13/07 at 17:19:46
Post Tools
Concerning 11... f6 I am not too confident that we might find something that could reasess the line
in a complete different way. On the other hand, and as I said before, I feel that

a) a computer analysis of the Kotronias-Short is quite interesting as it is not clear why Black loses.
I think Short's new move (although ugly) has some sense as he does nnot want to allow a passed
pawn on the d column.
b) analysis of these lines in recent books is a copy of old books and people are not examining them with
"new" eyes. Consider the following example (after 11...f6), 12 d5! Nxe5 13 NxN fxN 14 a4 a5 (Kb8
is something i want to examine again and examine a correspondence game by Cafferty (Black) where he sacrificied the Queen and draw the game)) 15 Nb5 Bb4 16 d6 c5 (Na8 was Short's "ugly" move
which maybe is not that ugly) and here there are three book possibilities for White

i) the old 17 Bd2 which allows the interesting Queen sacrifice by Black 17 ...QxP and according to the
books gives a good game to Black

ii) 17 Bg5 ! (in some books) with the idea 17 ... R(d)f8 18 Bd2 and now, Black cannot make the same sacrifice since the Rook is no longer in the d column. One correspondence game was a good win
for White. However, I feel that Black's game can be improved.
One idea (which appears to be new)
is NOT to move the rook after 17 Bg5 and allow it to be taken by the bishop, after for instance
17 ... Kb8 18 BxR RxB.
In my opinion White is exchanging a very good bishop (in the good lines for White it is exchanged with the Black' bishop in b4 and disrupt Black Pawn chain in the queenside) with a bad (for the moment)
rook (the one in h8). I did a few moves with the
computer playing either side and Black appears to hold. I was unable to analyse it throughly and
provide a few variations.
Unfortunately, White has another move 17 Qc1 and that one appears to be good for White I am testing
a few lines with the computer and I did not find yet anything Ok for Black

c) It may be interesting to look again at 12 ... Qe8. All the books give the same analysis with a
big advantage for White but i recall a old MCO where that line is extended for a few more moves and the assessment becomes in Black's favour. Unfortunately, I dont remeber in which MCO

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/13/07 at 16:07:53
Post Tools
lg wrote on 06/12/07 at 17:56:26:
Markovich

Do you remember, more or less when we did the last post in our previous thread?
So that I can get back again to your 14. h3! and at least remember what we said before.

I agree with your evaluation after 14...Bf5 when you say that White has given the d5 square.
Give me some time to get back to this.

Concerning 11...f6, my feeling is that most of the recent books are copying analysis of old books.
We have seen many situations where a line given as advantageous to either color becomes drawish.
I think the 11...f6 is like that because many lines are given before computers.
That is, Black might be lost after 12 d5, but if that is the case, then I dont think it is because
of the lines given in books.
I need some time to collect all the thoughts and computer analysis and then will let you know
(by the way, i am not holding back anything - i simple need time to analise all the material).

Concerning 9...Be7  10. d5 Nb4  11. Rc1 exd5  12. a3 Nxc4 (it is a line where Black has three pawn for a piece) , if I am not mistaken, you first said here that Black appears to be Ok but later on you come back with a different opinion, namely that the three extra Black pawns were still far from
queening and that made you think that White was better. Am I right?

Yes, I said that, but I am not sure how bad it is for Black.  I also recall your attention to the other lines I mention without having much new to contribute about them.  The reason is that it seems necessary to scour some of these black pots deeper, to see if any of them can be made to shine.  Or else just give up on Alekhine's.

I'll look at 11...f6 to see what I can see.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #9 - 06/12/07 at 17:56:26
Post Tools
Markovich

Do you remember, more or less when we did the last post in our previous thread?
So that I can get back again to your 14. h3! and at least remember what we said before.

I agree with your evaluation after 14...Bf5 when you say that White has given the d5 square.
Give me some time to get back to this.

Concerning 11...f6, my feeling is that most of the recent books are copying analysis of old books.
We have seen many situations where a line given as advantageous to either color becomes drawish.
I think the 11...f6 is like that because many lines are given before computers.
That is, Black might be lost after 12 d5, but if that is the case, then I dont think it is because
of the lines given in books.
I need some time to collect all the thoughts and computer analysis and then will let you know
(by the way, i am not holding back anything - i simple need time to analise all the material).

Concerning 9...Be7  10. d5 Nb4  11. Rc1 exd5  12. a3 Nxc4 (it is a line where Black has three pawn for a piece) , if I am not mistaken, you first said here that Black appears to be Ok but later on you come back with a different opinion, namely that the three extra Black pawns were still far from
queening and that made you think that White was better. Am I right?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #8 - 06/12/07 at 13:14:44
Post Tools
@John: I hope you'll be back soon on this subject. 

@others:  I doubt that Black is in much trouble in the Exchange when he recaptures with his e-pawn, so I don't see how this system can come anywhere close to refuting Alekhine's.  Discourage people from playing it, perhaps, but not refute it.  The 4PA, on the other hand, looks to me to be very close to a refutation.  Also I think that Black can hold his own after ...cxd6.  Unlike John I don't face thoroughly booked up opponents all the time, so I am less concerned than he is about certain lines after ...cxd6 that don't give Black much play for a win.  Also my opponents, unlike John's I imagine, pretty often produce stupid moves (and I never do!), so even a position without theoretical prospects can be played for a win.

@lg: My own time-wasting has been with 9...Qd7 10. Be2 0-0-0  11. 0-0 Bg4  12. c5 Nd5  13. Nxd5 Qxd5  14. h3! something we discussed before.  14...Qe4 and now:

(a)  15. Qb3 Nxd4  16. Nxd4 Bxe2  17. Rf4 Qxe4  18. Nxe2 Bxc5  19. Bxc5 Qxc5+  20. K~ Rd7 and while Black is somewhat worse (his kingside pawns lie somewhat exposed, so I think), I'm not sure that he is lost.  His king seems to be in no danger and if he can just hang onto all his pawns, how bad can it be?  The late-middlegame/early ending is perhaps the weakest part of my game; I would appreciate someone else's judgement here.

(b)  16. Qc1 Bf5  17. Ng5 Nxd4  18. Bc4 Qc6  19. Nxf7 Bxc5  20. Kh2 (20. Nxh8 b5! is due to lg) and here Black can consider 20...Bb6 or just play 20...b5 anyway.  Black will have a pawn and some pretty decent activity for his exchange.  Hiarcs 10 thinks it's close to even, but I doubt it.  Another situation where Black is likely worse but possibly not enough to lose. 

Also after 14. h3! Black has 14...Bf5 and I am not completely sure that Black is so bad then.  His wanderings with this bishop have wasted time, but White has conceded the d5 square.  I was surprised to find that Christiansen, whose little work on the 4PA I recently obtained, pointed out 14. h3! a long time ago.  Surprised, since Davies just ignored this in his Alekhine book.  Anyway, Christiansen opines that 14...Bf5  15. Qa4"!" Qe4  17. Qa3"!" is good for White, a strange judgement, since it appears to me that Black can then play 17...Nxd4.  In a CC game on net-chess.com an opponent answered 14...Bf5 with 15. Bb5?! but after 15...a6  16. Bxc6 bxc6 I won a nice opposite-color bishop middlegame; Black's king is very safe on d7 and his bishop will be a mighty piece if he can get it to d5 (as I did).

If there is another line that holds out against the 4PA, it may be 9...Be7  10. d5 Nb4  11. Rc1 exd5  12. a3 Nxc4.  Still another case where Black is worse by probably not losing, I think.  Christiansen claims only +=.  This may be the most reliable idea of the lot.

lg, I'd like to hear more about your 11...f6 idea.  I had thought Black was lost after 12. d5.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/12/07 at 00:46:13
Post Tools
I stopped posting about the Alekhine (at least in the sense of doing some annotated games) for two reasons: first I didn't want to tread on John W's toes, second after various attempts and emailing support, etc, I couldn't get the subscription I got in return actually to work, so I kinda stopped bothering. Also as it happens I started playing another opening because I had another book to write (the sad life we hacks lead). And finally I found a lot of problems coming together in the opening, which put me off. I also lost a couple of games, neither of which were the fault of the opening, but I generally allow these things to influence me unduly.

As to actually commenting on many of the very interesting ideas Markovich and lg (and others) were exchanging, I simply didn't have the time to do them justice.

As to the Voronezh JW did say at some point that my contributions on here were easy to improve upon, (which would never surprise me) but I've not seen him publishing any improvements. I did a survey of the line in CB magazine 105 which went into more detail. It seems to me that Black can certainly hold after 15...b6 if he does it right, but the line is not great for the purpose of playing for a win. I was also depressed by the game Quillan-Cox, which Andrew published on here. I was basically not able to find any way to strengthen Black's play. And the 4PA also came to be a problem because the 6...c5 line I used to play entered one of its periodic troughs of refutation (I suspect terminally), and at he same time White had some new ideas in the main line. I did have a small idea which at one time I was going to share with Markovich, but I never got round to polishing it up sufficiently to expose it even to that limited extent. This is still on my project list but not high on it compared to finishing a rather overdue book.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/07 at 20:59:34
Post Tools
... and what about 5... exd in the exchange?

I believe this has a drawish reputation but I think Larsen won some games with it (one at least a well known game against Gipslis, Ithink) and never played 5... cxd.

Ivanchuk won a recent nice game with it.

Have you seen the recent game Naiditsch (2654) - Chigladze (2346) ? Black played the ugly g6 and Bg7 (yes, after exd)
and did not loose despite having about less 300 Elo points. What is more is that Naiditsch
play is not easily improved.

Going back to the Voronezh (after 5 ...cxd) I agree that some variations by black do not feel right (but wasnt the same said about the Sveshnikov variation in the Sicilian ?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo